biomimicry south africa
As a regional network of The Biomimicry Institute, biomimicrySA promotes the study and imitation of nature’s remarkably efficient designs, bringing together scientists, engineers, architects and innovators who can use those models to create sustainable technologies. This process of consulting life’s genius utilises a clear, proven design methodology, complete with effective implementation tools, developed over a decade of work with companies, entrepreneurial organisations, universities, governments, and non-profits. biomimicrySA connects, inspires, educates, & enables biomimics in South Africa.
learn by doing
Our approach is all about learning by doing.
- In our training you learn through activities and practical design challenges (most of which are real challenges).
- Our open innovation design challenges enable students and organisations to learn and practice Biomimicry Thinking by working on real challenges through an open innovation process. Organisations provide challenges for students (or their own staff) to apply Biomimicry Thinking to. These students are trained and mentored by our team. The students learn by doing. The organisations learn how biomimicry can work for them while supporting vitally relevant training for students.
- We also inspire and mentor local teams (professionals or students) that enter the Global Biomimicry Design Challenge.
- Our team is also passionate about initiating and implementing biomimicry projects in South Africa that generate case studies for others to learn from, while also shifting the thinking and practice of those involved in the project.
what we offer
Biomimicry is the practice of learning from and emulating nature's genius. As a practice, it is always a learning journey. We know that once it starts for you, it will continue. We support you on your Learning Journey - from the first taste of inspiration to becoming a Biomimicry Professional or anything in between. The options available are modular, adaptive and responsive. You can select a pathway that suits you with any of the following to choose from:
- Start with an inspiring presentation on video or in-person
- Learn the basics through online training and at our workshops
- Explore the genius of nature on a biomimicry expedition
- Integrate biomimicry into your classes if you're an educator
- Apply Biomimicry Thinking to a design challenge (students, individuals, organisations)
- Be mentored through a practical project to complete a Biomimicry Learning Journey and graduate as a Biomimicry Practitioner
- Go deeper into undergraduate or postgraduate studies with our support and mentoring
- Leverage our skills: strategic direction, scoping opportunities for applying biomimicry, in depth research, open innovation, evaluation against Life's Principles, etc.